Sunday, November 16, 2014

Day 8: Week 1 start

Hey, how about that?!  I'm pushing myself to an excellent goal with an exact deadline, so I have no time to lose.  I'm shooting for the heavy pull up day to be the first of the week, every week.  So, today was my day.

Last week, my focus was on performing as many pull ups as I could in 1 hour and I managed pretty well, but found that within 2 sets I was dying out and quick.  Today was a HUGE step in the right direction.  My goal was to complete 200 pull ups in under 30 minutes.  Seems a bit ambitious, considering I only performed 175 pull ups in one hour last week?  Of course, but I wanted to really challenge myself and stay razor sharp in my focus.

So, today, I started with 1 minute rest between each attempt and begin by doing 10 reps at a time.  I figured I could maybe...just maybe...do 20 sets of 10 pull ups.  And, boy was I successful for the first 5 sets.  I was cranking 'em out and owning every last one.  Come set 6 though, I was dying out.  So, I backed off my amount of reps to 5 reps with 1 minute rest.

After doing a handful of 5 reps with 1 minute rest, I was becoming too anxious between sets to jump in.  So, I decreased my rest time to 30 seconds.  Whew!  That turned up the heat and I was beginning to tire out again.

At about the 19 minute mark, I completed 100 pull ups total!  A new record!  I was ecstatic about that, but by then I was praying to get some more strength and endurance.  I just did the best I could and wrapped up with 155 reps total.

Next week, my goal is to increase that amount by 10%, so that totals 170 pull ups in 30 minutes.

By the time I can master 200 in 30 minutes, I believe it's time to step up my game and cut the time in half for 100 pull ups in 15 minutes.  Eventually being able to perform 20 at a time would be ideal, then increase that to 30 at a time.  After that, I will perform 40 at a time, then 50.  Slowly gaining ground to 100 total.

On my final day, I will have this video taped with a person to hit my clicker as I perform each good rep.  I'd like to shoot for a time based goal to perform the 100 reps in, but until I can perform 100 reps straight, I will have to hash that out later.

-Dale L. Roberts
One Jacked Monkey



You should consult a qualified medical professional before starting this or any other health & fitness program.  As with any exercise or diet program, if at any time you experience any discomfort, pain or duress of any sort, stop immediately and consult your physician.  The creators, producers, participants, advertisers and distributors of this program disclaim any liabilities or losses in connection with the exercises or advice herein.  Any equipment or workout area that is used should be thoroughly inspected as free of danger, flaw or compromise, ahead of use and the user assumes all responsibility when performing any movements contained in this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment