Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Day 17: Secondary Priority Day

For the record, my legs are f#&kin' sore as hell today from my workout yesterday and get progressively worse.  So, rather than make myself that way in my upper body, I focused on a quick secondary priority day for my 100 pull ups in 100 days goal and wrapped up with some deep leg stretching.

The brace method for a one-arm pull up
I used the pull up assist equipment without the assist

Squeezing up to the top position
Time:  15 minutes
Rest:  1 minute between sets
Exercise:  One arm pull ups with wrist support
Completed:  8 sets of 3 pull ups each arm
Total pull ups:  24 one arm pull ups each arm/48 total

This was a real rush for me, because I haven't been able to complete a one arm pull up since 2009.  Back then I was extremely focused on bodyweight exercises and it was common practice for me to do pull ups in many variations.  Nothing fancy, but I did lots of pull ups.

Getting to the bottom position
The reason I was set on bodyweight exercises in 2009 was my low back injury in June 2008 left me pretty bad.  Most days, it was a struggle to physically and mentally get through my day.  Prior to the injury I was a heavy weight lifter and did lots of plyo workouts and heavy compound movements.  But, when I was told by my orthopedic doctor that I was in need of another consultation with the orthopedic surgeon, I was in desperation to change my lifestyle to better accommodate my injury.

So, my solution was tons of decompression therapy, mild chiropractic care, flexibility training, strictly bodyweight exercises for my workouts and regimented eating.  I dropped 50 pounds by August 2008.  Yes, that is NOT safe, but I was on heavy meds, had a poor appetite and a complete obsession with annihilating my pain and injury.

My injury came late May 2008, I fought through it til the beginning of June 2008 when I was diagnosed with a severely herniated disc in my L5-S1 vertebrae.  At that time, I was weighing a chunky yet beefy (in other words, I was muscled, but a little pudgy around the waist) 220 pounds and by August 2008, I had shed down to 170 pounds.

In the time that followed, I became obsessed with working out and focused on how I could become excellent at the ordinary and great at the extraordinary.  Pull ups and squats were my fix.

One day, I wondered if I could perform a single arm pull up...bam!  It happened.  With a little bracing.  Eventually I was completing 3-4 pull ups without bracing with no issue.  But, much like all good things, it came to an end.  My injury became a distant yet haunting memory (it would rear it's ugly head from time to time) and my drive to get better faded.

Now, I'm less obsessed about my workouts and in it to have fun while inspiring others to improve their own quality of life through exercise.

Well, that was a LONG blog, hit me back tomorrow.  I'm going to try for a record of as many pull ups in a row as possible.  See ya then!

-Dale L Roberts
One Jacked Monkey, LLC

You should consult a qualified medical professional before starting this or any other health & fitness program.  As with any exercise or diet program, if at any time you experience any discomfort, pain or duress of any sort, stop immediately and consult your physician.  The creators, producers, participants, advertisers and distributors of this program disclaim any liabilities or losses in connection with the exercises or advice herein.  Any equipment or workout area that is used should be thoroughly inspected as free of danger, flaw or compromise, ahead of use and the user assumes all responsibility when performing any movements contained in this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment