Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Day 31: Massage Therapy

I spend a great deal of time focusing on what I do DURING my routines, yet less on what I do OUTSIDE of my workouts.  So, I will make a conscious effort to paint a broader picture to get a better understanding on what specifically I do in my downtime.

Today was an off day (though I did focus on legs, calves and cardio) for my pull exercises and I greeted my day with a large cold shaker cup of Rehydrate followed by a one hour session with my massage therapist.  This is one of the BEST ways to recover between sessions so that you can go at it with the same (if not more) intensity the next session.

Why get a massage?  A great deal of your time spent in the gym can bind and knot your muscles and rather than allow your body to work alone in the process of healing and recovery, get a qualified professional to aid in your recovery.  If your muscles are bound and knotted up when you come to your next routine, you are going to be less successful and more susceptible to injury.  The massage therapist will "roll" out the knots and the body can then heal.

Immediately after any massage session, throw back as much water as you can handle so that any toxins or free radicals are flushed from your body.  You will feel MUCH better after the session and for longer when you drink tons of water right after your session.

Next, don't do ANYTHING.  I mean, relax.  Read, play an instrument, sing, take a warm shower, sit in a hot tub and just let your body take in the great massage session you just had.  Now, be realistic, don't spend your whole day relaxing, just take about 30-45 minutes to ease back into your day.  Today, I showered then meditated for 30 minutes.  By the time I went out with my wife, I was loose, light and feel bright!

I hope you have gained insight from this post.  Please let me know your experience with massage therapists and how well it has helped (or hindered) you.  Check me tomorrow as I will be focusing on a secondary priority training day (employing a super slow principle).

Check it!

-Dale L Roberts
One Jacked Monkey
You should consult a qualified medical professional before starting this or any other health & fitness program.  As with any exercise or diet program, if at any time you experience any discomfort, pain or duress of any sort, stop immediately and consult your physician.  The creators, producers, participants, advertisers and distributors of this program disclaim any liabilities or losses in connection with the exercises or advice herein.  Any equipment or workout area that is used should be thoroughly inspected as free of danger, flaw or compromise, ahead of use and the user assumes all responsibility when performing any movements contained in this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment